Clancy Catholic College was officially named on 5 May 2005 in honour of the retired Cardinal Archbishop of Sydney, Cardinal Edward Clancy AC.
Born on December 13, 1923 in Lithgow, Australia, Cardinal Clancy was ordained a priest on July 23, 1949. He was sent to Rome after only two years of ministry as a priest and when he returned to Australia he was appointed Professor of Holy Scripture, first at Saint Colomba College, and then at Saint Patrick’s College. At the same time he was nominated Chaplain for the University of Sydney. Greatly appreciated for his service as priest and instructor, Clancy was elected Bishop of Ard Carna on October 25, 1973. He was then promoted Archbishop of Canberra on November 24, 1978, and on February 12, 1983, Archbishop of Sydney.
His reception and installation as Archbishop of Sydney took place in St Mary’s Cathedral on 27 April 1983. Cardinal Clancy was made a Member of the Order of Australia (OAM) on 1 January 1984 and Officer of the Order of Australia (AC) in 1992.
He was elevated to the Sacred College of Cardinals. His responsibilities have including being a member of the Council of Cardinals and Bishops; President of the Australian Bishops Conference, 1986-2000; Chancellor of Australian Catholic University, 1991. He was a member of the Congregation for Bishops; the Pontifical Commission for Pastoral Care for Health Workers; the Council of Synod of Bishops, Pontifical Commission for Social Communication; and the Council of Cardinals for the study of economic problems of the Holy See.
On January 31 2006 the College Officially opened with the Inaugural group of 55 students and the foundation teaching staff.
Looking Back Video
Below is a 14 minute video, narrated by foundation teacher Ms Michelle Selmes, on the first six years of Clancy Catholic College.